Monday, June 22, 2015

Creativity At Its Best

I often ask myself, "Why do I want to paint?", What is the driving force within me that makes me want to paint?"  I probably ask these questions every time I pick up a brush or want to create something artistic.  If you have seen my art, most of what I paint doesn't exist.  I enter into a state of colorful euphoria.

I have days where I'm discouraged and feel that my art isn't good enough.  Then I ask myself, "Good enough for who?"  I pray over each piece I start.  As I'm creating, I get a wonderful feeling.  I get so much joy over painting.  I have finally come to a realization that if I find joy in painting and what I create, why does it matter who likes it.  Don't get me wrong, I love that other people other than myself like my art -- my collectors are awesome.  However, I can really pull myself down thinking that my art isn't good enough.  I've had to stop comparing myself to other artists and what they create.  We all have a different level of education and training.  What should matter is that art brings me joy.  Art lets me escape into a world outside of the one we share.

I was in one of my frump moods regarding my art and I just started talking to God and asking Him to help me to create things that have purpose and meaning.  As most of you who follow my blog know, I'm recently retired and I'm trying to subsidize my retirement income.  I have to say, I've been somewhat successful in this area.  The fact that I sell anything is amazing to me.  So I asked God to help me to be creative and to reach people who like my art and may want to purchase it.  I asked what can I do that is different.  So upon opening my eyes, I saw a bowl of stones in front of me.  Then my inner voice (who I call God -- when it isn't my idea), said, "Turn those stones into bread!"  At first I thought -- how blasphemous -- to everyone that knows who said that to who!!  But then I got it.  I'm old -- bread translated to money.  At first I thought, "Yeah, right!!"  I sold five stones in the first week!!  In fact, I've sold many in the last couple months!!!  Thus my Stone to Bread Series was created.

It's so exciting to do commissions too.  It's also a huge responsibility to me when someone asks me to paint their concepts.  I'm very prayerful when I start a commission.  So far, every commission that has been entrusted to me, the collectors are very satisfied with the results.  What is a huge compliment is when the collector says to me, I don't want to put any idea in your head, just give me one of your colorful originals!!



No comments:

Post a Comment